Top down vs bottom up approach
Start with full baked, begin to customize vs blank slate
Simplicity front and center
- Complexity buried down layers of hierarchy based on processes used in industry. I.e. there is no 'simple' way of making visual change without modifying a full design system. System uses modular component code, design patterns, and branding style guides, even if they are interpolated from limited user personalization, Storybook for displaying and organizing the design system, and Figma for edits. This is a modern approach using tested and refined design concepts used in professional workplaces, but now applied to video / animations as well as website design. Communication concepts remain a constant as the mediums we use iterate at such a rapid pace that entire industries spring up and collapse based on new media types and old ones getting replaced.
- Start with brand storytelling format which is proven and should be familiar, and target web media format in a predictable way, but also target animation format in a new, groundbreaking way. This implies the animation export format has effects in the area of performance and SEO - in some cases an HTML export can match (or beat) the quality of a compressed video at a fraction of the overhead. Taking traditional web format SEO concepts another step -- traditional tracking and product insight scripts can be applied to the HTML format just like a web page (as opposed to a video), so full video analytics (user attention falloff, for example) can be tracked to exactly where the user was in the video without video format specific analytics (which are sometimes proprietary). Videos can be fully interactive just like a web element — which means video information transferral can be broken down and controlled at a user pace which opens up some possibilities for user experience above and beyond pausing a video, rewinding, and replaying until the concept comes through in a way that can be put into practice. An example could be a video series broken up and separately recorded into topics in an organized way. Small businesses could greatly benefit and improve user experience by using an app to create these kinds of videos in a way they could manage that made sense for their limited time (focus on ease of use and low touch involvement for using the app).
- Design and visual storytelling formats can be formatted and generated (for certain applications) — brand guidelines dictate stylistic rules that guide to how a project can be generated. This translates into responsive web design into clear patterns which also can be applied with a formula. Within a very strict conceptual 'box' of what is dictated, best practices, and meets requirements for usability, customizations are possible but only in very specific ways. Using an overview (or formula based) methodology, a design system is in place behind the scenes that has color information and font brand guidelines, with customizable options from an overview perspective for grid preference, number of colors or gradients to draw from, branded typography, etc. This approach applies equally to a landing page or an animation.
- These ideas are not completely new ideas or different from a lot of really innovative technology that currently exists. For example a startup can lower the cost of creating a complete advertising campaign for a business using AI. How much human intervention is necessary and the overall quality of the campaign is subjective, but it has demonstrated success. Headlime is an example of a much simpler application that generates headlines based on a set of rules created by years of knowledge in the realm. It doesn't generate groundbreaking, perfect headlines every time, but is used as a tool the get inspiration and with human intervention to take the most relevant and best one for the situation, it can save a lot of time.
Simple, yet complex.
- Although many 'rules', structure, and formatting guideline best practices dictate a lot of structure and content presentation (for example a user might have a personal preference and inclination toward a beautiful low contrast visual style, that would not be generated in any design patterns due to accessibility and SEO considerations), still a world of endless possibilities exists within this limited 'box'. The app logic will attempt to prioritize which set might be the 'best' and present that first, for a human perspective to determine which of the generated possibilities is the best solution for their project on an individual basis. The app will allow a deep dive into control for aspects that the computer AI cannot always see a clearly 'better' answer for human presentation.
- The app aspires to have a UI for fine tune manipulation of all aspects of layout (traditional page builder UI has spacing controls, element type, WYSIWYG, etc front and center). But in this implementation the app would have this layer slightly buried away until it is needed, and then focused only to fine tune adjusting the elements that are needed, and only in ways that don't break the guidelines and patterns in place. Of course the goal in doing this is not to 'generate' a version that is better than the decisions made after human guidance is present, but just to save time and avoid starting with a blank canvas.
- In professional work, sometimes the issue is raised of protecting a brand vs just implementing what a client asks. There is an obligation to uphold integrity above and beyond just satisfying an obligation set by a client. We understand that and how to protect brand while still accomplishing the underlying goal set by a client requirement, and this experience informs how the app handles branding and guidelines. By limiting the amount of endless possibilities, and following the rules set by existing best practices and a progressively personalized design system, the end result is vastly superior while still nearly infinite design implementation possibilities continue to exist within those confines. We take branding seriously and hope this reflects in the app functionality.
Big goals and optimistic vision
Although not much app functionality exists yet, be on the lookout for new updates and changes to reflect the roadmap and goals and vision of the project.